Police: 8-Year-Old Boy Saves Mom High On Formaldehyde
UNIONTOWN (KDKA/AP) – Police say an 8-year-old western Pennsylvania boy saved his mom from harm by calling his grandmother for help when his mother was high from smoking cigarettes soaked in embalming fluid.
Uniontown Police say 30-year-old Cheri Sokol was lying on the ground in the middle of the sidewalk outside her Carson Street home when they got to the scene.
“She was laying on the sidewalk, couldn’t stand without being escorted, very delusional, hallucinating, seeing things,” said Lt. Tom Kolencik, of Uniontown Police.
It was on Oct. 7 when authorities say Sokol’s 8-year-old son called his grandmother saying his mother wasn’t feeling well. He was with his 5-year-old sister and 3-year-old brother at the time.
“I think it’s disgusting. If you’re by yourself and you do something, like you get high or drunk or stone or whatever, you’re not hurting anyone but yourself,” said Michele Little, a neighbor. “But if you have little kids around, you’re supposed to be protecting the kids, not putting them in danger.”
Police are waiting on blood tests to confirm, but believe that Sokol may have been high on embalming fluid, commonly referred to as ‘water’ or ‘wet.’
It’s a liquid similar to PCP and the effects are like no other street drug.
“Unlike regular drugs or alcohol they never really come to or have a sobering moment,” said Lt. Kolencik.
At Sokol’s home on Wednesday, no one answered the door. But children inside could be heard inside.
Police say Sokol’s three children are under the care of family members.
(TM and © Copyright 2013 CBS Radio Inc. and its relevant subsidiaries. CBS RADIO and EYE Logo TM and Copyright 2013 CBS Broadcasting Inc. Used under license. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. The Associated Press contributed to this report.)