Chef Bill Fuller stopped by Pittsburgh Today Live on Thursday to show off two great kale recipes!
Kale and Sausage Soup
- 1 C. Small diced onion
- ½ C. Small diced celery
- 1-3 Tbs. Red pepper flakes (optional)
- Extra Virgin olive oil
- As much sliced garlic as you can stand, at least 6 cloves sliced thinly
- 5 # Potatoes, peeled and diced
- 3-4 qt. Good chicken stock
- 2 # Kale, chopped
- 4 ea. 4 oz. links of fresh sausage – hot Italian, linguica, lucanica, or whatever trips your trigger – cooked and sliced into half moons
- 3-4 Tbs. Chopped fresh thyme
- 8-10 ea. Large leaves fresh sage, chopped
- Salt and pepper to taste
- A big block of Parmesan cheese
1) Sweat onion and celery in olive oil over low heat. Sweat red pepper flakes with these ingredients if using.
2) Add garlic and potatoes. Cover with stock.
3) Bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer.
4) Add kale, sausage, and herbs.
5) Allow to cook until kale is soft. Adjust seasoning with salt and pepper.
6) When placed in bowl, generously shave Parmesan cheese over the bowls.
7) Eat with crusty bread.
Beet and Kale Salad, Pickled Shallots, Sherry Vinaigrette, Marcona Almonds
- ½ # Small red beets, roasted and peeled, quartered
- ½ # Small golden beets, roasted and peeled, quartered
- ½ # Small turnips, roasted and peeled, quartered
- ¼ # Baby Lacinato (Dinosaur) kale
- Sherry Vinaigrette
- Salt and pepper
- Pickled Shallots
- ¼ C. Marcona almonds
1) Place the warm beets and turnips in three small bowls, keeping them seperate. Dress each with a little Sherry Vinaigrette. Season with salt and pepper.
2) Place Lacinato kale in in a small bowl. Dress with Sherry Vinaigrette. Season with salt and pepper.
3) Arrange beets, turnips, and kale on a plate.
4) Sprinkle with Pickled Shallots and Marcona Almonds.
- 1 tsp. Dijon mustard
- 1-2 ea. Shallots, peeled and minced
- ¼ C. Sherry Vinegar
- ½ C. Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Salt and Pepper
1) Place mustard, shallots, and vinegar in a stainless steel bowl. Secure bowl with towel.
2) While whisking, slowly drizzle in oil.
- ¼ C. Red wine vinegar
- ¼ C. water
- ¼ C. Sugar
- 1 tsp. Black peppecorn
- 1 tsp. Red pepper flakes
- 1 tsp. Salt
- 1 ea. Bay leaves
- 1 tsp. Mustard seed
- 1 C. Sliced shallots, rinsed and well drained
1) Place all ingredients except shallots in a non-reactive pot.
2) Bring to a boil.
3) Pour over shallots and allot to cool.