BEAVER COUNTY (KDKA) – Crews battled a house fire in Baden, Beaver County early Friday morning.
It started around 4:30 a.m. in the 300-block of Prospect Street.
The homeowner says it started when his car caught fire in the garage and quickly spread to the house.
“Rich was trying to start his vehicle, which was in the garage area and there was an engine fire,” said neighbor Robert Pavelek.
The homeowner and his wife made it out of the home and called 911. But by the time crews arrived, the fire had spread to the house.
“Very intense flames, three cars inside those two garages,” said Baden Fire Chief David Trzcianka, “all of them were on fire, the game room or whatever the addition is on the back was fully involved when I got here.”
Firefighters had difficulty on scene. In addition to the intensity of the flames, they had trouble accessing water — there was a problem with one of the hydrants and they had to move to one farther away.
“The first floor had started caving into the basement, so we held everybody to an exterior attack,” said Trzcianka.
Some neighbors were forced to evacuate their homes while crews worked to get the fire under control.
No other homes were damaged and no one was hurt, but neighbors describe the experience as devastating and eye-opening.
“It’s something that hits home,” Pavelek said. “The things we take for granted everyday in life and you notice that you can have something just taken away that quickly, it just makes you appreciate things a little more.”
Stay with KDKA for more information.