Gas Leak Prompts Evacuations At New Castle School
NEW CASTLE (KDKA) — A gas leak prompted evacuations at a Lawrence County elementary school Wednesday afternoon.
Authorities say some children started not feeling well, and when school officials checked, they found the leak coming from fittings in the furnace.
Officials found the leak around 2:20 p.m. at JFK Elementary at the intersection of Highland Avenue and Laurel Avenue in New Castle.
The students were evacuated and kept in the parking lot until dismissal.
Officials say classes have been canceled for Thursday as crews will be working to repair the furnace.
“We’re going to remedy the problem tonight and tomorrow,” said John Sarandrea, the superintendent of New Castle Schools. “We’re probably not going to have school in this building tomorrow. We’ll give them a day to get the repairs done and we’ll assess the situation from there.”
The superintendent says some of the children complained of headaches, but everyone is going to be fine.
Stay with KDKA for the latest on this developing story.