Chef Bill Fuller’s Recipes: Holiday Appetizers
Chef Bill Fuller stopped by Pittsburgh Today Live today to show off some holiday appetizers that will be sure to be a big hit!
Nam Kao Tod Wraps
Lao crispy rice salad
- 2-3 Tbs Peanut oil
- ½ C. Lao Fresh Pork Sausage
- 1 ea. Shallot, julienne
- 1 Tbs Minced garlic
- 1 Tbs Minced ginger
- 3 ea. Dried Thai chili, sliced into rings
- 2 Tbs Sliced scallion rings
- 3 Tbs Roasted crushed peanuts
- ½ C. Crispy rice – cooked rice tossed in rice flour and cornstarch and fried
- 6-8 leaves Mint
- Fish sauce
- 8-10 ea. Iceberg lettuce cups
- 8 ea. Cucumber slices
- 3-4 ea. Cilantro sprigs
- Lime wedges
1. Heat a wide skillet over medium heat.
2. Add oil, allow to get hot.
3. Add Lao Fresh Pork Sausage, shallot, garlic, ginger, chilis, and shallots. Cook until sausage is browned and aromatics are fragrant.
4. Stir in crispy rice, peanuts, and mint.
5. Season with limejuice and fish sauce.
6. Spoon into lettuce cups.
7. Top with cucumber slices and cilantro sprigs. `
Lao Fresh Pork Sausage
- 2 # Ground pork
- ¾ C. Ground garlic
- ¾ C. Chopped ginger
- ¾ C. Sliced scallions
- ¼ C. Soy sauce
- ¼ C. Sherry Vinegar
- ¼ C. Chili Paste
- Salt and pepper to taste
1. Mix all ingredients.
2. Cook a small portion and taste. Adjust seasonings
- 2 # Boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- Chicken Satay Marinade
- Peanut Satay Sauce
- 2 doz. 6” bamboo skewers, soaked in warm water for 10 minutes
8. Slice chicken into trips 2” by ½”. Toss with Chicken Satay Marinade.
9. Skewer, making sure the tip does not protrude form the end of the meat
10. Prepare Peanut Satay Sauce.
11. Grill skewers. Serve with limes and Peanut Satay Sauce.
Chicken Satay Marinade
- 1/4 can Coconut milk
- 1/4 C. Penang Curry Paste
- 1 Tbs. Fish sauce
- 1 tsp. Ground coriander
1. Mix together the coconut milk, curry paste, fish sauce, and coriander.
Peanut Satay Sauce
- 3 cans Coconut milk
- 1/2 C. Penang Curry Paste
- 1½ C. Toasted peanuts
- ½ C. Brown sugar
- 1/3 C. Fish sauce
1. Combine coconut milk, curry paste, peanuts, and sugar in a saucepan. Bring to a boil and simmer for 15 minutes.
2. Remove from heat, add fish sauce, and puree in blender while hot. Puree thoroughly!
Penang Curry Paste
- 3 oz. Dried red chilis, deseeded
- t Tbs Coriander seeds, toasted
- ¼ C. Shrimp paste
- Juice of 3 limes
- 16 each Kafir lime leaves, de-stemmed and chopped
- 1 C. Cilantro, washed well and dried, stems and roots included
- 1/4 C. Mint, washed well and dried, stems and roots included
- 3 ea. Lemongrass stalks, first 5-6 inches
- 2 tbs. Brown sugar
- 1 C. Chopped garlic
- 1 C. Chopped shallots
- 6 each Juniper berries
- 3 oz. Fresh turmeric
3. Soak dried chilis in hot water to soften for approx. ½ hour. Assemble other ingredients while waiting.
4. Mix all other ingredients. Remove red chilis from water and reserve water. Add to other ingredients.
5. Puree all ingredients in a blender using the chili water to moisten the mixture ant to aid in blending.