Cooking Corner: Angel Hair With Anchovies
In this week’s Cooking Corner segment, Market District Chef Ben D’Amico is in the Pittsburgh Today Live kitchen cooking up his holiday recipe for seven fish pasta.
Prep Time: 10 min.
Cooking Time: 15 minutes
- 2 lbs Angel Hair Pasta
- 1 – 2oz Anchovies (packed in oil)
- 6 cloves Fresh Garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp Fresh Shallot, minced
- 2 tbsp Fresh Parsley, minced
- 1 tsp Crushed Red Pepper Flakes
- 2 tbsp Chardonnay Wine or Lemon Juice
- ¾ cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- ½ lb Butter, Unsalted
- ¼ cup Parmesan or Romano Cheese, Grated
- TT Kosher Salt & Black Pepper
1. Heat a large pot of boiling salted water, & bring to a boil.
2. While water is heating; combine butter, olive oil, shallot, garlic, & anchovies in a medium sauté pan.
3. Heat the anchovy butter mixture over medium high heat for 3-4 minutes.
4. Mash the anchovies with a fork until they almost dissolved into the butter/oil.
5. Optional step: Add in a splash of white wine or lemon juice for additional flavor. (If the anchovy is removed this sauce makes a great scampi. The anchovy can be substituted for shrimp, scallops, or crab)
6. Turn off the heat for the anchovies butter & allow to cool slightly.
7. When the pasta water is at a full boil add in the angel hair & cook only until al dente, 4-6 minutes.
8. Once the pasta is cooked strain and then allow it to cool for 3-4 minutes.
9. Combine the pasta & the anchovy mixture, & parmesan cheese, gently toss. Season the dish with salt & pepper then garnish with fresh parsley.