In this week’s Cooking Corner segment, Market District Chef Ben D’Amico is in the Pittsburgh Today Live kitchen cooking up his holiday recipe for seven fish pasta.
Prep Time: 10 min.
Cooking Time: 15 minutes
- 2 lbs Angel Hair Pasta
- 1 – 2oz Anchovies (packed in oil)
- 6 cloves Fresh Garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp Fresh Shallot, minced
- 2 tbsp Fresh Parsley, minced
- 1 tsp Crushed Red Pepper Flakes
- 2 tbsp Chardonnay Wine or Lemon Juice
- ¾ cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- ½ lb Butter, Unsalted
- ¼ cup Parmesan or Romano Cheese, Grated
- TT Kosher Salt & Black Pepper
1. Heat a large pot of boiling salted water, & bring to a boil.
2. While water is heating; combine butter, olive oil, shallot, garlic, & anchovies in a medium sauté pan.
3. Heat the anchovy butter mixture over medium high heat for 3-4 minutes.
4. Mash the anchovies with a fork until they almost dissolved into the butter/oil.
5. Optional step: Add in a splash of white wine or lemon juice for additional flavor. (If the anchovy is removed this sauce makes a great scampi. The anchovy can be substituted for shrimp, scallops, or crab)
6. Turn off the heat for the anchovies butter & allow to cool slightly.
7. When the pasta water is at a full boil add in the angel hair & cook only until al dente, 4-6 minutes.
8. Once the pasta is cooked strain and then allow it to cool for 3-4 minutes.
9. Combine the pasta & the anchovy mixture, & parmesan cheese, gently toss. Season the dish with salt & pepper then garnish with fresh parsley.