Mammasita joins us to cook up some Dhalpouri!
2 Cups A & P Flour
2 tsp. Baking Powder
½ tsp. Salt
1 – 1 ½ Cups water (more or less)
Oil for cooking (add 2 T. butter optional)
1. In large mixing bowl, add the flour, baking powder and salt.
2. Add water and form dough, do not over knead.
3. Rub some oil over the dough and let it rest for about 5 minutes.
4. Cut dough into 6 to 7 pieces and form into small balls.
1 Cup Split Peas (yellow)
¼ tsp. Saffron Powder
4 Cloves Garlic (minced)
1 Small Onion (minced)
1 Chili Pepper or ¼ Scotch Bonnet Pepper (minced)
2 tsp. Ground Cumin (geera)
Salt and Pepper to Taste
1. In deep sauce pan, Put 4 cups water to boil, add the split peas, cook until tender but not soft.
2. Allow split peas to cool completely.
3. Grind split peas, using a food processor or food mill.
4. To the ground split peas add the garlic, onion, pepper and cumin.
5. In large skillet, add 2 Tbs. Oil and add the mixture and let cook for 2 minutes.
1. Fill the dough with about 2 to 3 tsp. of filling, pull up on the sides and fold over to form a ball.
2. Roll dough very thinly and big enough to fit on (TAWA) cooking stone or non-stick skillet.
3. Coat the top of the stone or the skillet with oil.
4. Place dough and cook on one side for about 3-4 minute, base with oil mixture before turning over and cook for another 2-3 minute until it swells or gets puffy.
5. Press along the edges so as to make sure that the dough cooks all the way to the edge and this will also cause the dough to rise.
Roti can be served with pumpkin talkari (stew), curry chickpeas and potatoes or any curried meat or fish. I especially like this with curried goat.
PUMPKIN TALKARI: (BUTTERNUT SQUASH)
1 Medium butter nut squash, cleaned and cubed
3 Cloves Garlic
1 Chili Pepper (optional)
Salt and Pepper to taste
In large skillet, cook onion until tender and add the garlic, be careful not to burn the garlic.
Add the squash, lower heat, cover and cook until tender. Adjust salt and pepper to taste.
(you can use this formula to also make eggplant or green beans).