PITTSBURGH (93-7 The FAN) – The Pirates have avoided arbitration with all six arbitration eligible players: Third Baseman Pedro Alvarez, Reliever Mark Melancon, Second Baseman Neil Walker, Outfielder Travis Snider, First Baseman Gaby Sanchez and Reliever Vin Mazzaro.
- The most surprising signing was that of Pedro Alvarez as most analysts were expecting his case to go to the arbitrator, but he signed with the team for $4.25 million. Alvarez is coming off an All-Star season in which he hit .233 with 36 home runs and 100 RBI’s.
- Another All-Star last year, Mark Melancon also avoided arbitration by signing for $2.595 million. Melancon spent most of the year in the setup role but also closed games out for the team when Jason Grilli was sidelined. Melancon finished the year with an ERA of 1.39 while striking out 70 and walking only 8 in 71 innings worked.
- Local product Neil Walker, coming off a season in which he hit .251 with 16 home runs and 53 RBI’s gets a raise from last years salary of $3.3 million to $5.75 million.
- 25-year-old backup outfielder Snider agreed to a one-year deal worth $1.2 million after making $505,000 last year. Snider hit .215 with five home runs and 25 RBI’s playing in 111 games. Snider is expected to remain in a backup role this upcoming season.
- After platooning at first base last year with Garrett Jones and Justin Morneau, the right handed hitting Gaby Sanchez agreed to a $2.3 million contract after making $1.75 million last year. Sanchez hit .254 with seven home runs and 36 RBI’s. With the departures of Jones and Morneau, Sanchez is expected to be competing for time at first base with Andrew Lambo.
- Reliever Vin Mazzaro signed for $950,000 after pitching 73.2 innings out of the bullpen last year with a 2.81 ERA.
This has been a somewhat quiet off season by many standards, but General Manager Neil Huntington recently joined Starkey and Mueller to talk about the team’s plan and how he expects to see things shake out before opening day.
Keep it tuned to 93-7 The FAN for all the latest Pirates contract news as it becomes available.