kdka-sm kdka-am-sm fan-sm pittsburgh-cw-logo

Pirates

Jon Heyman: Odds Burnett Returns Just Under 50/50

(Photo Credit: Elsa/Getty Images)

(Photo Credit: Elsa/Getty Images)

Fan Morning Show The Fan Morning Show
Read More
Pirates Central
Shop for Pirates Gear
Buy Pirates Tickets

MLB Scoreboard
MLB Standings
Team STATS
Team Schedule
Team Roster
Team Injuries

Sports Fan Insider

Keep up with your favorite teams and athletes with daily updates.
Sign Up

PITTSBURGH (93-7 The Fan) – CBSSports.com baseball writer Jon Heyman joined The Fan Morning Show on Thursday to give the guys the latest on free agent A.J. Burnett, who will reportedly play next year, but is not committed to playing for the Pirates as he previously stated he would be.

Heyman guessed that there is a 49 percent chance of Burnett returning to the Pirates in 2014. He also guessed that there’s a 49 percent chance of him ending up with the Orioles and a 2 percent chance of him ending up with another team.

Heyman noted that the market for Burnett is less favorable to teams than it is when it comes to most top-tier pitchers because the Pirates did not extend him a qualifying offer. As a result, other teams would not have to give up a draft pick to sign him.

Heyman doesn’t see playing in the AL East to be a major deterrent for A.J. Burnett, as he feels that the issue during his time with the Yankees was simply being in New York, not so much playing in that division. He said that the Orioles are a major player for Burnett because his family is settled in Maryland, but that Camden Yards being a hitter-friendly park might work against them here.

The interview can be heard here: