kdka-sm kdka-am-sm fan-sm pittsburgh-cw-logo

Latest News

Pitt Students Rescue Man From Burning Home

(Photo Credit: KDKA)

(Photo Credit: KDKA)

Ralph Iannotti Ralph Iannotti
Ralph Iannotti began working as a KDKA-TV general assignment reporter...
Read More

Get Breaking News First

Receive News, Politics, and Entertainment Headlines Each Morning.
Sign Up

PITTSBURGH (KDKA) — A fire in Pittsburgh’s Oakland section heavily damaged a two-story house occupied by a man and his wife on Friday evening.

Before firefighters arrived, a couple of college juniors took matters into their own hands, risking their lives to help bring one victims out to safety.

Acting on impulse, the University of Pittsburgh college students – both from the Mon Valley – entered the burning, smoke-filled home and helped carry an elderly man down the stairs.

The man’s wife was already on the porch outside the home.

Josh Yoskosky says he and his roommate, Joe Fogiato, heard a commotion outside and saw smoke coming from the house next door.

The boys were getting ready to go to a gym.

Without thinking twice, before any first responders were on the scene, the pair went into the burning house and found the man on the steps, somewhat dazed, and took him outside.

Pittsburgh Police Detective Mike Burns of the Arson Squad told KDKA-TV’s Ralph Iannotti that the fire was caused by a space heater located too close to combustible materials.

Burns estimated the fire caused an estimated $60,000 damage.

RELATED LINKS:
More Oakland News
More Reports by Ralph Iannotti

Join The Conversation On The KDKA Facebook Page
Stay Up To Date, Follow KDKA On Twitter