SOUTH SIDE (KDKA) – Several people were displaced after their South Side apartment building caught fire early Tuesday morning.

Firefighters were called to the 900-block of East Carson Street around 12:30 a.m. Tuesday.

When they arrived, smoke was coming from all three floors of the three story building.

It took them about three hours to extinguish the flames. However, firefighters were able to keep the flames from spreading to neighboring buildings, but the damage is extensive.

Janet Khalil and her husband have owned the South Side building for more than 25 years.

Khalil says she was in shock when she heard about the fire.

The Khalil’s daughter has run the Sphinx Cafe on the ground floor of the building since 2003.

It was the city’s first introduction to the Egyptian hookah tradition. She has since opened another location on the South Side.

Two people living in an upstairs apartment are being helped by the Red Cross. Tenants in a second apartment are being helped by family and friends.

Firefighters say the electrical fire started on the second floor.

The Khalil’s say despite the devastation to their daughter’s business, they are thankful everyone got out safely.


More Local News
More South Side News
More Reports From Trina Orlando
Join The Conversation On The KDKA Facebook Page
Stay Up To Date, Follow KDKA On Twitter

More From CBS Pittsburgh

Get The All New CBS Local App
KDKA Weather App

Watch & Listen LIVE