High Winds Cause Chimney Collapse In New Castle
NEW CASTLE (KDKA) — Heavy winds are to blame for a chimney collapse Wednesday evening in New Castle, Lawrence County.
Mark Moore says he and his wife were watching television in the bedroom of their Delaware Street home when they heard a loud crash.
“I come out and look, there’s bricks all over the front yard, and then I looked up in the attic. There’s stuff falling through the ceiling,” Moore told KDKA.
The bricks went through the roof and into the attic.
Debris also fell onto the driveway, damaging one of the vehicles parked there.
“We thank God that it didn’t come all the way through and hit us in the head because it’s right over our bedroom. Thank God the attic stopped it,” said Moore.
New Castle Fire Department Assistant Chief Tommy Bulisco said the remaining part of the chimney posed too much of a hazard.
So, his crew used a ladder to remove the bricks by hand.
“What we’re doing is taking…. some of the weight off so it doesn’t collapse later on,” said the chief.