Spinach A La Gallega Tacos Recipe
Farmer’s markets are opening up around the area! Pittsburgh Post-Gazette food writer Gretchen McKay stopped by PTL to show off a delicious recipe with ingredients from the farmer’s market!
Spinach A La Gallega Tacos
- 2 1/2 pounds baby spinach
- 2 to 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 small white onions or 6 green onions, including green parts, minced
- 1/4 cup currants, plumped in hot water and drained
- 1/4 cup pine nuts, toasted
- Fine sea salt and freshly ground pepper
- 8 corn tortillas, warmed
- 1/2 cup crumbled goat cheese
- Tomatillo (green) salsa
Rinse spinach well and remove stems. Put in a large skillet pan with only the water clinging to the leaves. Cook over medium heat, turning as needed until wilted, just a few minutes. Drain well and set aside.
Add oil to now-empty pan and set over medium heat. Add onions and saute until tender, about 8 minutes. Add spinach, currants and pine nuts and saute briefly to warm through. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Spoon spinach onto the tortillas, drizzle with goat cheese and some of the salsa. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Makes 8 tacos.
— “Dos Caminos Tacos” by Ivy Stark with Joanna Pruess (Countryman Press, May 2014, $24.95)