4-Month-Old Child Burned By Firework In Ohio
YOUNGSTOWN, OHIO (CBS) — A four-month-old child was critically injured when a firework landed on her over the Fourth of July weekend.
According to CBS affiliate WKBN-TV, Aubree McCormick was in a play pen on the porch at a home in Youngstown when a 10-year-old neighbor kicked over a firework that was lit.
Instead of shooting up into the air, the tubular firework shot straight into the play pen, burning McCormick.
The child’s grandmother, Carol McCormick rescued her.
“It was just poof when the firework went off in her little bed,” says McCormick. “I would have laid on top of it if I’d [have known] it was going to get her.”
She injured her hands rescuing the child.
The baby was flown to Akron Children’s Hospital for treatment. She is in the burn unit and her injuries are described as critical.
Relatives say her face and part of her body is badly burned.
“Why her? An innocent four-month-old baby, why her?” says McCormick’s mother, Kiarra Jackson. “Why couldn’t it have been me or one of them? Why her?”
The family says, they want people to know that fireworks are not toys.
“Fireworks should not be for kids. They should not be lit off around kids. I don’t want any fireworks anywhere,” says Jackson.
The family is hoping that the baby recovers. They’re asking people to pray for her.
Meanwhile, police are investigating the incident. There’s no word yet if charges will be filed.