kdka-sm kdka-am-sm fan-sm pittsburgh-cw-logo

Local

Firefighters Say Pet To Blame For Beaver Co. Fire

(Photo Credit: Tim Lawson/KDKA)

(Photo Credit: Tim Lawson/KDKA)

FREELAND-WEB-HEADSHOT-2013 Lynne Hayes-Freeland
Lynne Hayes-Freeland is a general assignment reporter known for live,...
Read More

Get Breaking News First

Receive News, Politics, and Entertainment Headlines Each Morning.
Sign Up

MIDLAND (KDKA) – Firefighters were initially told the home at 1223 Midland Avenue in Midland, Beaver County, was occupied when a fire started just after 1 p.m. Monday.

Now officials say no one was there, but two dogs and a cat. Now they believe the animals may have started the fire.

“One of the pets jumped up on the stove and turned the knob and I guess no one was home and everything on the stove caught fire,” said Midland Volunteer Fire Chief Richard Corradi.

Officials say once the stove got swept up in flames, the fire quickly spread throughout the entire kitchen.

“Which led to some cabinets catching fire and engulfing the kitchen and dinette area,” said Corradi. “A lot of smoke and water damage.”

The homeowner told investigators one of the dogs has jumped up on the stove before, turning on a burner. But this time the consequences were deadly.

“We had a dog and cat perish and we rescued one dog,” said Corradi.

Officials aren’t saying whether the dog that survived is the one responsible for starting the fire.

No word on just how much damage there was to the home.

RELATED LINKS

More Local News
More Beaver County News
More Reports From Lynne Hayes-Freeland
Join The Conversation, Like KDKA On Facebook
Follow KDKA On Twitter

Follow

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 6,122 other followers