Boy Injured After Electronic Tablet Battery Explodes
PITTSBURGH (KDKA) – A young boy was injured after the battery in his electronic tablet exploded.
Last week, 7-year-old Jamel McCrea was at his grandmother’s house and picked up his Proscan tablet.
The Lithium Ion battery that powers it exploded in his hands.
“And all she heard was a big bang, like a gunshot,” Jacqueline Peer said. “And she looked and his finger was gushing blood.”
The tablet is manufactured by Curtis International, Ltd., a Canadian company. Despite a number of calls to the electronics manufacturer, Peer got no satisfaction.
“I just wanted something to be done, a safety issue,” said Peer, “so that it doesn’t happen to another child and all they wanted was money.”
There’s a long history of recalls on Lithium Ion batteries catching fire, or blowing up.
The US Consumer Product Safety Commission found that the batter problems seemed to peak in 2005 when hundreds of incidents were being reported.
Those reports have decreased because many brand name companies have since added ways to warn users when the batteries are overheating.
But when incidents do occur, they should be reported to the CPSC’s website at saferproducts.gov. You can also see lists of various products and companies that have already been reported.
“This should have been reported immediately right when I called,” Peer said.
According to Scott Wolfson of the CPSC, any products sold here have to meet US safety standards. And under federal law, any company must report potential hazards to the CPSC within 24 hours.
“There was no paperwork inside the box at all,” Peer said.
Finally, to lessen the dangers, the batteries should never be exposed to high heat or metal. And if you need to change the batteries, only replace them with the same brands as the originals.
You May Also Be Interested In These Latest News Stories
Join The Conversation On The KDKA Facebook Page
Stay Up To Date, Follow KDKA On Twitter