Rania’s Recipes: Fried Green Tomatoes & Lobster Rolls
Rania Harris made her 400th appearance on PTL today! To celebrate, she made the first recipe she ever demonstrated and brought something new too!
Fried Green Tomatoes Topped with Crab
Fried Green Tomatoes:
- 6 slices Green Tomatoes – sliced about ½-inch thick
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 2 large eggs – beaten with a few splashes hot sauce
- 2 cups dry breadcrumbs seasoned with salt & ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Canola oil to sauté the tomatoes
- 1 pound jumbo lump crabmeat
- 1 cup mayonnaise (light is fine)
- ½ cup sour cream (light is fine)
- ¼ cup ketchup
- 1 tablespoon fresh squeezed lemon juice
- 4 green onions – minced
- ¼ cup minced sweet pickles
- A few splashes hot sauce
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 4 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 shallots – peeled and minced
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- ¾ cup extra virgin olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 9 cups Mixed Field Greens
- Grape tomatoes and avocado slices for garnish
Dredge the tomato slices in the flour, dip them into the beaten eggs and then coat them with the seasoned breadcrumbs. Heat a small amount of canola oil in a non-stick skillet and fry the tomatoes, in batches, in the hot oil just until they are browned on both sides. Drain the fried green tomatoes on paper towels and set aside until ready to assemble the salad.
Place the crabmeat in a bowl. In another bowl, combine all of the crab dressing ingredients. Pour dressing over the crab and mix gently just to coat the crab.
Whisk the first three ingredients together in a small bowl and then whisk in the extra virgin olive oil until combined and emulsified. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
To assemble the dish:
Lightly dress the mixed field greens with the vinaigrette. Place one fried green tomato in the center of each of 6 large plates. Surround the tomato with a wreath of the dressed field greens. Top each tomato with the crab salad. Garnish the dish with grape tomatoes and avocado slices.
- 4 cups cooked fresh lobster meat, diced (I like using the tails and claws)
- ½ – ¾ cup good mayonnaise
- ½ cup finely diced celery (1 ½ stalks)
- 2 tablespoons capers, drained
- Dash of hot sauce
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 ½ tablespoons finely minced fresh dill
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 6 top sliced hot dog buns, buttered and toasted
- Bibb lettuce
Combine the mayonnaise, celery, capers, hot sauce, lemon juice, dill, salt, and pepper in a bowl and blend well. Add the lobster meat and toss gently. Place a Bibb lettuce leaf into each buttered and toasted roll and top with the lobster salad. Serve immediately.
Yield: 6 lobster rolls