Parents: 11-Year-Old Died Playing ‘Terrible Game’

INDIAN LAND, S.C. (KDKA) — A South Carolina family is reaching out, warning other parents, after they say their son died playing a “terrible game.”

In an emotional Facebook post, the 11-year-old’s father explains that his “funny, smart and amazing” son Garrett died last Wednesday as the result of “something called the Choking Game,” citing the Lancaster County Coroners office.

He says the game is played by kids cutting off their airwaves “just enough to get a sense of euphoria.”

Join The Conversation On The KDKA Facebook Page
Stay Up To Date, Follow KDKA On Twitter

“We do not know where Garrett learned this, but the logical source would be from other kids in school, or in our neighborhood,” Garrett Pope wrote. “Our tablets and computers show no online research that he might have done.”

Pope goes on to insist that his son’s “senseless death was not intentional.”

“Please talk about this with your kids, and do everything you can to prevent a similar tragedy. He was so young and impressionable, he didn’t know what he was doing, and made a terrible mistake,” he finishes.

Comments

One Comment

  1. Jim McCart says:

    Cutting off their airwaves . Who writes these articles ?

Comments are closed.

More From CBS Pittsburgh

Bringing You The Best in Sports Talk Radio
New Podcast Network

Listen Live