PITTSBURGH (KDKA) — Flames were seen coming from an apartment building in Ben Avon Saturday night.
Around 7 p.m., firefighters rushed to the 200 block of Berringer Place to find the structure engulfed in the flames.
— Ian Smith (@ismithKDKA) November 20, 2016
Ben Avon Fire Chief Jim Rupert tells KDKA that the male and female who lived inside the building were home when the fire started, but made it out. The male was treated for smoke inhalation.
Firefighters from seven departments responded to fight the flames.
“Very, very hot and intense. Just a bad fire. Place burned quick, it spread fast, I’m just glad that no one got hurt,” witness Lindsay Medwig said.
The structure collapsed just after 9 p.m.
The house next door appeared to have damage to its siding from the intense heat.
At 10 p.m., firefighters were still dumping water on the burning building. The home appeared to be a total loss, with only a chimney standing. The fire was under control just before 10:30 p.m.
People in the community were quick to offer assistance.
“I was telling my boys that if there are boys that live there, we are going to go through our stuff to help, clothes, toys, shoes, whatever – very sad,” said neighbor Erin Medwid.
Four or five people were displaced by the fire. The American Red Cross is assisting them.
One firefighter was sent to a local hospital with a leg injury.