Impress your fellow football fans with this great recipe at your next tailgating party!
This week on “Steelers Late Night,” we’re cooking up Country Fried Steak!
STEELERS LATE NIGHT “Late Night Tailgating Recipes”: Country Fried Steak
COOKING TIME: 30-40 Minutes
SERVING SIZE: 4 People
- 1 ½ cups whole milk
- 2 large eggs
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons seasoned salt
- ¾ teaspoon paprika
- 1 ½ teaspoons black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 3 pounds cube steak (extra-tenderized round steak)
- ½ cup canola or vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 4 toasted rolls
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 to 4 cups whole milk
- ½ teaspoon seasoned salt
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
1. Set up 3 mixing bowls. In bowl 1, mix the milk with the eggs; bowl 2 is the flour mix with the seasoned salt, 1 ½ teaspoons black pepper, paprika and cayenne; and bowl 3 is the meat. Have a clean plate ready.
2. Working with one piece of meat at a time, sprinkle both sides with kosher salt and black pepper. Coat with flour mixture, then with the milk/egg mixture, then with the flour mixture again. Place each piece of breaded meat on the clean plate.
3. Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add butter. When sufficiently hot, cook the meat 3 pieces at a time for 2 minutes each side, or until golden brown. Place on a paper towel-lined plate.4. Pour off the grease into a heat-proof bowl. Without cleaning the skillet, return it to the stove over medium-low heat. Add 1/4 cup of the grease back to the skillet and allow it to heat up.
1. When the grease is hot, sprinkle the flour evenly over the grease. Using a whisk, mix in the flour to create a golden-brown paste. Keep cooking until the roux reaches a deep golden brown color.
2. Pour in 3 cups of the milk, whisking constantly. Add the seasoned salt and black pepper to taste and cook, whisking, until the gravy is smooth and thick (5 to 10 min.).
3. Place fried steak on top of rolls, pour gravy over and serve.
For more information, visit: http://www.donsappliances.com/
Don’t forget to tune into “Steelers Late Night” each Saturday after the 11 p.m. News on KDKA-TV for more recipes!