By Julie Grant

WEST HOMESTEAD (KDKA) – Customers and employees at Advance Auto Parts in West Homestead got quite a scare when carbon monoxide began leaking inside the store.  It was enough to shake everybody up but thankfully nobody was hurt.

“The symptoms really weren’t too serious. A few team members expressed symptoms of nausea and headaches,” said General Manager, Ryan Scott.

Three employees and two customers at the Advance Auto Parts store on 7th Avenue in West Homestead said they were feeling a little sick and thought they could smell gas.  General Manager Ryan Scott called for help.  Firefighters confirmed carbon monoxide was leaking into the store from a heating system on the roof.  Investigators said the store’s roof has three different systems and they were working to pinpoint the one with the leak.

At last check, investigators were unsure how much carbon monoxide was present.  People’s Gas was also on the scene working to pinpoint the leak and gauge the amount of carbon monoxide. West Homestead Fire Chief John Dindak said it was smart the store called for help immediately.

“CO can kill you. If this happened at night, in somebody’s home. That’s why we always tell people check your furnaces, make sure everything is working properly, water tanks. Everybody who is in this business knows that if everything is not working properly, sometimes you don’t wake up,” said Chief Dindak.

Everyone who felt sick initially, felt better once they got fresh air and refused medical treatment.

Join The Conversation On The KDKA Facebook Page
Stay Up To Date, Follow KDKA On Twitter

More From CBS Pittsburgh

Get The All New CBS Local App
KDKA Weather App
CBS All Access

Watch & Listen LIVE