PENN TOWNSHIP (KDKA) — A 5-year-old child was rushed to the Mercy Hospital Wednesday night after being scalded in the bath.
Westmoreland County emergency dispatchers say it happened around 8:30 p.m. in the 500 block of Sandra Drive in Penn Township.
Police officials tell KDKA that the child was with a caregiver.
The 5-year-old reportedly has a condition that makes him nonverbal, and he was unable to tell the caregiver that the water was too hot.
“We are looking into some issues that would have hindered the child’s ability to signal that the water was hot or signal he was in pain or verbalize,” Penn Township Police Chief John Otto.
Within moments of placing the child in the tub, the caregiver heard crying and saw the child was in severe distress. She immediately called 911.
“She removed the child from the bath water and could see visibly the burns on his lower extremities,” said Chief John Otto.
Police officials say this incident appears to be an unfortunate accident and not criminal.
KDKA’s Brenda Waters: Did the caregiver put her hand in the water first?
Chief John Otto: My understanding from our conversation leads us to believe that the caretaker did at least state she tested the water and felt the water was acceptable.
The caregiver had reportedly been working for the family for just a few months.