Woman Suing Samsung Claims Overheated Galaxy S3 Caused House Fire

PITTSBURGH (KDKA) — A Pittsburgh woman is suing Samsung.

Brittany Jones says she was charging her Galaxy S3 cellphone on Dec. 30 at her mother’s home on Chautauqua Street when the house caught fire.

She claims the phone was on a bed when it overheated and set the bed on fire. The blaze caused $10,000 in damage, but no one was injured.

Join The Conversation On The KDKA Facebook Page
Stay Up To Date, Follow KDKA On Twitter

Detectives from the Pittsburgh Bureau of Police ruled the fire was caused by a malfunctioning battery after finding the damaged device along with a burnt charging cable on the bed.

There have been several reports of Samsung cellphones, including the Galaxy S3, overheating or exploding. Anyone who bought a Galaxy S3 and suffered damages because the device overheated could join the class-action suit if it proceeds.

Another class action lawsuit was filed in October in New Jersey over the Galaxy Note 7.

Jones is represented by Robert Peirce & Associates.

More from Brenda Waters
Comments

Comments are closed.

More From CBS Pittsburgh

Play It
Get The All New CBS Local App
KDKA Weather App

Watch & Listen LIVE