BRADDOCK (KDKA) — An area of Braddock was evacuated Thursday due to a gas leak.
It happened in the area of Talbot Avenue and 1st Street.
“Apparently it was a very major leak. The gas was pouring out of there, so they had to be on the safe side. The company thought we should get out of the building,” Mike Derewonko said.
Dozens of workers were told to clear the area. Work ceased at the Epic Metals Company and Wheaton and Sons Iron Works, frustrating some.
“We got a lot of work to do right now, we didn’t need a couple hours off. We’ll get over it,” Frank Despaziani said.
A spokesman for Peoples Gas complained that gas line ruptures happen throughout construction season.
In an 18 county area, People’s had eight ruptures just Wednesday. There were more Thursday.
People’s blames contractors who don’t contact the gas company before digging holes. Although it is not clear if that was the case in the Braddock rupture.
No one was injured and the problem was resolved around 3 p.m.