Official: 2-Year-Old Hospitalized After Ingesting Prescription Medication

PITTSBURGH (KDKA) — A 2-year-old girl was rushed to Children’s Hospital after ingesting her mother’s prescription medication in Beechview Friday afternoon.

It happened around 3:30 p.m. in the 2100 block of Broadway Avenue.

Paramedics were called to the home on reports that a small child had accidentally ingested an unknown amount of prescription medications belonging to one of her parents.

At first, police said the 2-year old girl found the medicine in her mother’s purse.

However, the toddler’s father says it didn’t quite happen that way.

The girl’s father, who did not want to be identified, told KDKA-TV’s Ralph Iannotti, “It’s a very scary situation. I was at my son’s school. We got a call that she was in the hospital. She got into, not a purse, but what happened is she climbed onto a speaker where there was a pillbox. She appeared to take something. We don’t know exactly what she took. Her mother has different medications.”

The couple and their three children had just moved into the Beechview house about a week and a half ago from Greenfield. The family says they are still not completely settled in.

The toddler, who was taken to Children’s Hospital, is doing well under the circumstances.

“My daughter is doing good,” the girl’s father said. “She’s a little woozy, it seems, but she’s responsive, speaking, screaming and being a very normal 2-year-oldish.”

Join The Conversation On The KDKA Facebook Page
Stay Up To Date, Follow KDKA On Twitter

More from Ralph Iannotti

More From CBS Pittsburgh

Get The All New CBS Local App
KDKA Weather App
Find Cheaper Gas

Watch & Listen LIVE