Rania Harris stopped by PTL to kick off a three-week series of burger recipes to get us ready for summer grilling season!
Lamb Burgers with Tzatziki Sauce
- 2 ¼ pounds ground lamb (10 percent fat)
- ½ cup minced shallots
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh mint leaves
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 ½ teaspoons salt
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- ¼ teaspoon ground allspice
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper, plus 1/8 teaspoon
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Tzatziki Sauce (recipe follows)
- 6 hamburger buns
- Lettuce leaves, for garnish, optional
- Thinly sliced tomatoes, for garnish, optional
- Sliced roasted red peppers, for garnish, optional
In a mixing bowl, combine the lamb, shallots, mint, garlic, salt, cumin, allspice, 1/4 teaspoon of the cayenne, and the cinnamon and mix gently but thoroughly to combine. Using your hands, shape the mixture into 6 patties, using the Adjust a Burger to form the patties and then transfer them to a large plate or a platter. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 2 hours and up to overnight.
When ready to cook the burgers, preheat a grill to medium-high. Brush the burgers on both sides with the remaining tablespoon of olive oil. When the grill is hot, add the burgers and cook for about 4 minutes on each side for medium. Transfer the burgers to a platter and cover loosely with foil. Place the buns, cut sides down, and in batches if necessary, in the hot skillets and cook until warmed through and slightly toasted, about 2 minutes. Serve the buns with the cooked burgers and spoon some of the Tzatzki Sauce over each burger. Garnish with lettuce, tomatoes, and sliced roasted peppers if desired, and serve immediately.
- 2 cups thick Greek yogurt
- 3 cloves garlic, coarsely chopped
- 4 Tablespoons chopped fresh dill
- Drizzle of Greek olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
Combine all ingredients in a bowl and mix until well combined. Season, to taste, with salt and pepper. Transfer to a small serving bowl.
Turkey Burgers with Chipotle Mayonnaise
- 1 pound ground turkey – (I do not use the ground turkey breast as I find it too lean)
- 2 cloves garlic – finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped fresh parsley
- 3 tablespoons Frank’s Red Hot Sauce
- Sea salt to taste
- 1 Vidalia onion, cut into (1/4-inch-thick) slices
- 4 hamburger buns
- 4 slices tomato
- 4 lettuce leaves
- Chipotle Mayonnaise (see recipe)
Combine the first 4 ingredients in a large bowl and season with salt to taste. Divide the turkey mixture into 4 equal portions, shaping each portion into a 1/2-inch-thick patty
Pre- heat grill to medium high and grill burgers until cooked through and no visible pink appears. Place 1 patty on bottom half of each bun, and top each patty with sauce 1 onion, tomato and 1 lettuce. Top with remaining bun halves.
Yield: 4 servings
- ½ cup diced scallions
- ¼ cup chopped parsley
- 2 teaspoons ketchup
- 1 teaspoon each: Lemon juice / Worcestershire sauce / Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 canned chipotle pepper – chopped
- 1 teaspoon adobo sauce from canned chipotles
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- ½ to ¾ cup mayonnaise
Blend the sauce ingredients together in a bowl. Cover and chill until ready to serve.