Window Washer Electrocuted In Oakland

OAKLAND (KDKA) – A window washer has died after being electrocuted in Oakland Tuesday morning.

According to emergency dispatchers, the incident happened around 10 a.m. in the 540 block of North Neville Street.

The man was working in a cherry picker when it came in contact with a 23,000-volt power line.

“I was walking that way to get to the bus and I just happened to be looking up and I saw a giant flame cover the man. Then, there was a really loud sound, and then I didn’t know what happened,” Lauren O’Brien said.

The victim has been identified as 46-year-old Matthew Blackburn of Jefferson Hills.

Power crews were also called to the scene because the line was still live.

Police say the victim worked for a private window washing company and the bucket truck was rented. Police say the victim’s son had also been working on scene when the accident happened. What investigators are trying to figure out is how it happened.

“OSHA is here, along with the rental company of the bucket truck, and the windows washing company,” said Pittsburgh Police Commander Dan Herrmann.

The investigation continues.

Join The Conversation On The KDKA Facebook Page
Stay Up To Date, Follow KDKA On Twitter

More From CBS Pittsburgh

Get The All New CBS Local App
KDKA Weather App
Find Cheaper Gas

Watch & Listen LIVE