ARNOLD (KDKA) — Firefighters and EMS crews did all they could to revive two dogs that were trapped inside a home on Woodmont Avenue in Arnold.
A photographer with Arnold Volunteer Fire Department No. 2 captured video of the dogs being revived after the rescue.
“The EMS folks arrived and took over the medical treatment with medical personnel and we were able to resuscitate both dogs and they were transported to a veterinary hospital in Monroeville,” said Fire Chief Christopher O’Leath with Arnold Volunteer Fire Department No. 2.
Firefighters believe the fire started on the second floor of the home in a back bedroom just before midnight Saturday.
“It appears that the tenants had a candle burning up there that was knocked over by two dogs that were in the residence at the time,” O’Leath said.
Family members said one adult was home with six kids. They all managed to make it out unharmed and firefighters knocked down the flames in about 15 minutes.
An Arnold police officer was the first person to respond to the scene. He tried to rescue the two dogs but he couldn’t get to them because the smoke was so thick.
“Pets are like family. They’re like children to a lot of people. When I saw his emotions whenever I came outside, I, at least, had to attempt,” said Patrolman Joshua Stanga with the city of Arnold Police Department.
Patrolman Joshua Stanga only made it so far. He managed to get to the second floor of the home and started searching for the dogs.
“I had about a three and a half, four foot window on the ground. I tried crawling into the room where he said the dogs were. Made it inside the room. I got overwhelmed with smoke so I exited the residence,” Stanga said.
Stanga, along with the assistant chief, tried for a second time with no luck so they waited for firefighters to arrive.
“The firefighters located the dogs underneath the bed,” Stanga said.
The dogs were overcome with smoke. However, KDKA found out from family on Sunday that they did not survive despite everyone’s efforts to save them.
Firefighters said the family can’t stay in the house right now due to smoke, heat and water damage. They are staying with family for the interim.