By Brenda Waters

Follow KDKA-TV: Facebook | Twitter

ARNOLD (KDKA) — A family of seven was evacuated from their home in Westmoreland County overnight due to a carbon monoxide leak.

It all started around 11:15 p.m. Thursday. That’s when authorities said the family started feeling ill inside their home on Constitution Boulevard in Arnold.

“They started experiencing some medical symptoms, flu-like symptoms,” Arnold Deputy Chief James Bartolovich said.

Their carbon monoxide detector began going off. At first, they changed the battery, but when it didn’t help, they called 911.

When the fire department arrived, they began opening windows.

“There was a definite CO condition in the house. We notified Peoples Gas Company, they came and checked it out,” Deputy Chief Bartolovich said.

Crews determined the home’s furnace was the source of the leak.

“It was a furnace issue,” said Deputy Chief Bartolovich. “We went through the house and started getting readings on the first floor. Obviously, when we went to the second floor, it started getting higher.”

The family, including adults, children, a baby and one elderly person, was taken to a nearby hospital to be checked out. They are all expected to be okay.

“Everybody’s safe,” the deputy chief said. “Everybody gets to go home and live another day.”

The gas company red-tagged the meter. The family is not allowed back inside the home until the furnace is fixed.

More From CBS Pittsburgh

Get The All New CBS Local App
KDKA Weather App
CBS All Access

Watch & Listen LIVE