Health Topic Center
CBS Pittsburgh Health News
- Consumer Reports: How To Save On Prescription Medication People who regularly take prescription medication spend on average more than $700 per year for drugs.
- Rita Wilson Undergoes Double Mastectomy After Breast Cancer Diagnosis Actress and singer Rita Wilson announced on Tuesday that she had a double mastectomy after being diagnosed with breast cancer.
- Clinical Trial Underway For New Treatment Of Brain Aneurysms A new therapy is being explored that will stop potentially deadly aneurysms from bursting.
- 5 Simple Exercises That Lower Stress Looking for a way to lower stress? Try these five exercises from Dr. Tami Meraglia, author of "The Hormone Secret: Discover Effortless Weight Loss and Renewed Energy in Just 30 Days."
- Beards Are Back In Style, But Can They Be A Health Hazard? From close-cropped, to slightly fuller ones, facial hair is back in style. But, is something as innocent as a beard, also a health hazard?
- Unpleasant Shigella Bacteria Going Around, Sometimes Antibiotic Resistant Health officials are warning of a stomach virus going around lately.
- New MS Treatment Giving Hope To Patients There's a new treatment for MS patients who've tried everything and have yet to find something that works for them.
- UPMC Cancels Highmark's Medical Advantage Low-Cost Access For Seniors The University of Pittsburgh Medical Center is threatening to terminate its Medicare contract with rival Highmark, which could cause about 180,000 seniors in western Pennsylvania to lose in-network access to UPMC hospitals and doctors next year.
- Experts Fear Tough Allergy Season After Cold Winter You may have already noticed it - the dreaded sneezing, itchy eyes and scratchy throat that comes with allergy season.
- Local Doctors Explain Risks Of Taking Levaquin KDKA-TV health editor Dr. Maria Simbra explains why some are calling for a closer look at a certain group of antibiotics.
- Pittsburgh VA Clears Up Backlog, Shortens Wait Times Congress was shocked to learn that at a VA facility in Phoenix, Ariz. 1,700 veterans had languished on waiting lists – and some had died awaiting care.
- Cystic Fibrosis Patient Seeking Help From UPMC Katie Prager has cystic fibrosis and needs a double lung transplant to save her life. The problem: insurance won't pay for it.
- Mass. Company Develops Potentially Life-Saving Trauma Foam To give wounded warriors a fighting chance, Dr. David King has teamed up with Arsenal Medical to develop a so-called trauma foam.
- Local Doctors Using Cutting-Edge Approach To Knee Replacements Hundreds of thousands of Americans get a knee replacement every year. Instead of a one-size-fits-all type of approach, what if you could customize the new knee to be exactly the same shape and size as your old one?
- Local Doctor Weighs In On Jolie’s Tough Decision To Have Ovaries, Fallopian Tubes Removed Angelina Jolie says she had her ovaries and fallopian tubes removed last week to ensure she has a long life with her husband and six children.