Health Topic Center
CBS Pittsburgh Health News
- Get Marty: Many Seniors Struggling Without Stair Lifts Betty McCullough’s struggle is hard to watch. Every step on every stair is an excruciating journey through different levels of pain.
- Enterovirus D68: What Every Parent Should Know Parents should be prepared for a new virus that is infecting the Midwest and looking to sweep the nation.
- New Hormone Treatment May Reduce Damage To Brains Of Premature Babies Not getting enough oxygen or blood flow to the brain of a premature baby can have long-lasting impact on strength, intellect and behavior.
- Consumer Reports Tests Head Lice Treatments, Recommends Best Options Head lice affects as many as 12 million kids every year.
- Doctor Takes Closer Look At Unnecessary Surgeries In New Book Dr. Paul Ruggieri released his new book, "The Cost of Cutting: A Surgeon Reveals the Truth Behind a Multibillion-Dollar Industry" this week where he exposes the hidden truths behind why surgery is so expensive.
- Local Ophthalmologists See Rise In Exfoliation Syndrome It's called exfoliation syndrome. While it may sound like something having to do with your skin, it's actually a dangerous eye condition.
- Restaurant Owners Ready To Contest Health Dept.’s Letter Grading System Allegheny County is a step closer to getting report cards on the safety of its restaurants. The Health Department has okayed a plan for letter grades.
- Journey Complete: Local Man Walks Across USA To Raise Mental Health Awareness Crossing the Golden Gate Bridge with family and friends, Ian Cummins has kept his promise. It’s a promise born of a brother's love.
- Study Shows Double Mastectomy May Be Unnecessary With Single Breast Cancer Diagnosis A growing number of women are choosing to have a double mastectomy when diagnosed with cancer in just one breast.
- Regulators, Highmark Spell Out Post-UPMC Plan Officials with health insurer Highmark Inc. and the Pennsylvania Insurance Department have spelled out a plan for Highmark customers to continue using doctors from the rival University of Pittsburgh Medical Center once Highmark's provider agreement...