Health Topic Center
CBS Pittsburgh Health News
- New Procedure Eliminates Fat Under Chin Have you've ever looked in a 3-way mirror or seen your profile in a picture and you thought, "That's not me! My chin doesn't look like that!"
- 2 Cases Of Whooping Cough Found At Beaver Co. Elementary Schools A Moon Township pediatric practice is getting lots of calls from concerned parents.
- Consumer Reports: Be Wary When Buying Meds Online Almost 2 million Americans are trying to save money by buying medications online, according to a recent Consumer Reports survey. But government investigators have found that many rogue pharmacies peddle bad drugs online that can cause serious harm.
- Fitness Tracker Sales On The Rise, But Are They Accurate? Last year alone, there were an estimated 19 million fitness tracking devices in use. But, how accurate are they?
- Stem Cell Transplant Used To Heal Local Woman & Her Own Dog Sharon Germain had first-hand experience with stem cell transplantation.
- Proper Use Of Wipes Kills Germs, Improper Use Could Spread Them The every day household disinfecting wipes -- easy to grab, easy to use. But does wiping really disinfect?
- UPMC, Highmark Resolve Dispute Over In-Network Rates Health insurer Highmark Inc. and the University of Pittsburgh Medical Center have resolved their dispute over which Highmark members can maintain in-network access to UPMC doctors and hospitals.
- At-Home Colon Cancer Screening Offers Possible Alternative To Colonoscopy Getting a colonoscopy as a screening test for cancer, for some people, can be a dreaded ordeal.
- Panel: Highmark Wrongly Lowered Cancer Payments To UPMC An arbitration panel says Highmark violated a $188 million contract with the University of Pittsburgh Medical Center and must now pay millions of dollars for past claims.
- USSF Recommends Ban On Headers For Players 10 And Under The U.S. Soccer Federation is recommending a ban on headers for players 10 and under, limits for players between 11 and 13 and having medical professionals rather than coaches make decisions on whether players suspected of concussions can remain in...
- Expert Advises Parents To Look For Signs Of Teen Drug Use Is it possible your kids or another loved one is hiding drugs right in front of your eyes?
- A Possible Cure For Peanut Allergies Beginning In Pittsburgh However, local doctors and patients now are working on something that could be the first real cure for peanut allergies.
- Dietician’s Top 'Feel Good Foods' To Help Reduce Inflammation Did you know, the foods we eat can help to reduce internal inflammation and increase our overall health?
- State Departments Propose New Immunization Regulations The State Departments of Health and Education have proposed new regulations that would impact all school kids.
- Doctors Exploring How Some Medications Can Treat Seemingly Unrelated Ailments While people usually reach for a medication meant to treat one specific ailment, many medications can do double duty and treat symptoms that initially seem unrelated.