kdka-sm kdka-am-sm fan-sm pittsburgh-cw-logo

Latest

A Guide To Walking Tours of North Shore

November 4, 2010 8:18 PM

View Comments
north

The North Shore has a wealth of outdoor sculpture, excellent for viewing while walking the North Shore trail along the Allegheny River or visiting the numerous North Shore museums. Here are five must-see art installations, selected from the Pittsburgh Office of Public Art’s larger North Shore walking tour publication. (issuu.com)

Pittsburgh Variations

Allegheny Landing
North Shore between the Roberto Clemente & Andy Warhol bridges (6th & 7th Streets)

Pittsburgh Variations, crafted by George Sugarman in 1984, is a painted aluminum sculpture of a paddlewheel, a crucible, the Golden Triangle and Penn’s Woods. These elements represent Pittsburgh’s rivers, industry, business and finance, and Pennsylvania’s forests and natural resources.

Articulated Cloud

Children’s Museum of Pittsburgh
10 Children’s Way
Pittsburgh, Pa. 15212
pittsburghkids.org

Articulated Cloud, designed by Ned Kahn and Koning Eizenberg Architecture in 2004, is composed of over 43,000 independently attached acrylic flappers which move with the wind. The structure, which is lit at night, serves as an educational tool to demonstrate air currents and also dissipates heat from the Children’s Museum.

Six Reliefs on the former Buhl Planetarium

Children’s Museum of Pittsburgh
10 Children’s Way
Pittsburgh, Pa. 15212
pittsburghkids.org

Day, Night, The Heavens, The Earth, Primitive Science and Modern Science are six relief sculptures by Sidney Waugh which appear on the outside of the former Buhl Planetarium, now part of the Children’s Museum of Pittsburgh. The reliefs were commissioned by Pittsburgh merchant and philanthropist Henry Buhl and completed in 1939.

Colonel James Anderson Monument

Allegheny Center
Across from the Carnegie Library of Pittsburgh Allegheny Regional Branch

The Colonel James Anderson Monument, designed by Daniel Chester French and Henry Bacon in 1904, was commissioned by Andrew Carnegie to honor the Colonel, who inspired him to open free libraries. The monument features a bronze bust of Colonel Anderson and a bronze statue of a seated man, entitled Labor Reading. The stone on which the statues sit is a replica of the original pedestals and bench.

Sign of Light

Billboard on Penn Avenue Place, facing the Allegheny River
View at night from North Shore and nearby Allegheny River bridges

Sign of Light, created by Robert Wilson and Richard Gluckman in 1999, is a billboard on top of Penn Avenue Place which uses over 10,000 LEDs to create a moving image of a color-changing triangle. This represents Pittsburgh’s Golden Triangle. The billboard was created to indicate a border of the Pittsburgh Cultural District.

View Comments
blog comments powered by Disqus
Follow

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 6,122 other followers