UNIONTOWN (KDKA) — Fire officials in Fayette County are blaming a Christmas tree for sparking a house fire that displaced a family today in Uniontown.

Authorities say one adult, three children and two dogs were living in the Lemon Street home when the fire started there this morning.

“Apparently, it was accidental,” Chief Chuck Coldren, of the Uniontown Fire Department, said. “It was a Christmas tree of some sort, an artificial tree with an electrical problem.

He said heavy smoke could be seen coming from the home when crews first arrived on the scene.

“It was phoned in by a neighbor; they stated there was flames showing out of their neighbor’s house,” said Chief Coldren. “The guys did a real nice job, quick knock down, went through the back door and pushed the fire right out through the front window.”

According to Chief Coldren, the fire caused some smoke and water damage inside the home.

The state police fire marshal continues to investigate.

Uniontown Fire Department
More News from Fayette County

Watch & Listen LIVE