PITTSBURGH (KDKA) — One woman was taken to the hospital and some tenants were forced to evacuate when fire sparked at an apartment building on Pittsburgh’s North Side early this morning.
The fire broke out around 5:20 a.m. on the eighth floor of the 10-floor apartment building on North Commons Avenue.READ MORE: Kenny Pickett Passes Dan Marino For Single Season Passing Touchdown Record
Officials say it started in a kitchen and was contained to one apartment.
One woman who was inside the apartment was taken to Allegheny General Hospital as a precaution.READ MORE: Clifford's Three Touchdown Passes Not Enough For Penn State, Losing 30-27 To Michigan State
The fire was called in as three-alarms because of the number of people who live there and concern over getting everyone out safely.
“They [fire crews] were here pretty quick,” said Jermaine Fischer, the resident who called 911. “It’s just, it shocked me, early this morning you wouldn’t think there would be a fire, but it happens.”
The kitchen where the fire broke out was damaged. There was also water damage in some of the hallways.
Meanwhile, the residents who were evacuated have been allowed back inside.MORE NEWS: Pittsburgh Downtown Partnership's Elf Hunt Offers Big Prizes For Shoppers