CARRICK (KDKA) – A home was destroyed by an early Tuesday morning fire in Carrick.

According to officials at the scene, the fire started on the first floor of a home near the intersection of Sloss and Plateau Streets around 3:42 a.m.

Some neighbors were outside smoking cigarettes when they noticed smoke and flames in the house.

“We were outside on our porch smoking a cigarette and getting ready to go to bed,” Ellie Scasserra said.  “We looked over the hill and she said, ‘That’s a fire.’”

One neighbor kicked in a door to alert anyone inside to the fire.

However, the flames were too intense for them to enter the house.

Firefighters had issues fighting the blaze because the road down to the house was narrow.

As a result, firefighters had to run a long hose to fight it.

“We had a little bit of trouble getting a water supply line established. It wasn’t anybody’s fault it was just the placement of the fire hydrants the way they are. The fire got a good head start,” Battalion Chief Michael Mullen said.

The two people who live in the house were not home at the time.

Arson investigators believe a laptop that overheated may have caused the fire.


More Local News
More Carrick News
More Reports From Ross Guidotti

Watch & Listen LIVE