SOUTH SIDE (KDKA) – Hazmat crews were called to the scene of a chlorine leak in the South Side early Tuesday morning.

Around 3:30 a.m., crews responded to the Oliver Bath House, located at 38 South 10th Street.

People staying a block away at the Holiday Inn on South 10th Street reported smelling a strong chlorine odor.

Hazmat crews put on special suits and headed to the basement level of the bath house.

They discovered a 150 pound cylinder leaking chlorine.

After checking for other leaks, crews were able to turn off the cylinder and stop the leak.

Crews ventilated the building, then cleared the scene around 5:30 a.m.

The situation closed down the 10th Street Bridge for more than an hour.

More South Side News
More Local News