PITTSBURGH (KDKA) — A family was able to escape their home in Highland Park after a fire broke out late Wednesday afternoon.
The fire broke out around 5 p.m. in a 2½-story home in the 1400-block of Greystone Drive.READ MORE: 18 Inmates Of Washington County Jail Quarantined Following Positive COVID-19 Tests
Pittsburgh Detective Mike Burns, of the Arson Squad, estimates the damage at $75,000.
Burns said the living room was completely destroyed, and the fire may have been caused by a candle or a light malfunction.
Luke Scott, who has been temporarily living in the house with his brother and his brother’s family, told KDKA-TV News that a family pet may have knocked a candle over in the living room, igniting a couch.READ MORE: Pittsburgh Bureau Of Fire On Scene Of Duplex Fire In Lawrenceville
Scott said he was watching TV in the basement when he heard something crashing upstairs, he ran up and saw a couch engulfed in flames, and the windows started breaking.
Scott says he grabbed his brother and told him to get out, and luckily, everyone else in the home got out before them.
Fire investigators say while the front of the home sustained most of the fire damage, other parts of the house were damaged by smoke and water.
Scott said people “should make certain they know how to get out of their homes, in case of an emergency.”
He added that “today was a terrifying experience.”MORE NEWS: 'We Got Banged Bad:' Freedom Hit Hard During Saturday Morning's Storms