Looking for a creative Valentine’s Day dessert? Try this Bananas Foster Creme Brulee from Braddock’s American Brasserie!
- 2 cups milk
- 2 cups whipping cream
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 2 1/2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 large ripe banana, mashed
- 12 large egg yolks
- 1/4 teaspoon banana extract
- 16 teaspoons sugar, divided
1. Combine first 5 ingredients in a heavy saucepan. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, 11 minutes or until sugar dissolves and mixture comes to a simmer (do not boil). Cool 5 minutes.
2. Beat yolks and banana extract in a medium bowl. Gradually stir about 1/4 of hot whipping cream mixture into yolks, and add to remaining hot whipping cream mixture, stirring constantly. Pour whipping cream mixture through a wire-mesh strainer, discarding banana solids.
3. Pour custard mixture evenly into 8 (8-ounce) ramekins or custard cups. Place ramekins in a large roasting pan; add hot water to pan to a depth of 1 inch. Bake at 350° for 35 minutes or until set. Remove ramekins from water, and cool slightly on a wire rack. Cover and chill at least 8 hours.
4. Place ramekins on a baking sheet; sprinkle 2 teaspoons sugar evenly over each custard. Broil 5 inches from heat until sugar is completely melted and caramelized (about 1 to 3 minutes). Garnish, if desired. Serve immediately