PITTSBURGH (KDKA) — A fire in Pittsburgh’s Oakland section heavily damaged a two-story house occupied by a man and his wife on Friday evening.

Before firefighters arrived, a couple of college juniors took matters into their own hands, risking their lives to help bring one victims out to safety.

READ MORE: Pittsburgh Weather: Morning Snow Could Lead Slick Roads This Afternoon

Acting on impulse, the University of Pittsburgh college students – both from the Mon Valley – entered the burning, smoke-filled home and helped carry an elderly man down the stairs.

The man’s wife was already on the porch outside the home.

Josh Yoskosky says he and his roommate, Joe Fogiato, heard a commotion outside and saw smoke coming from the house next door.

READ MORE: Staying Safe With Proper Tire Maintenance During The Winter Season

The boys were getting ready to go to a gym.

Without thinking twice, before any first responders were on the scene, the pair went into the burning house and found the man on the steps, somewhat dazed, and took him outside.

Pittsburgh Police Detective Mike Burns of the Arson Squad told KDKA-TV’s Ralph Iannotti that the fire was caused by a space heater located too close to combustible materials.

Burns estimated the fire caused an estimated $60,000 damage.

More Oakland News
More Reports by Ralph Iannotti

MORE NEWS: Teenager Taken To Hospital After Being Stabbed Multiple Times

Join The Conversation On The KDKA Facebook Page
Stay Up To Date, Follow KDKA On Twitter