MOUNT LEBANON (KDKA) – A family escaped a fire in Mount Lebanon and firefighters stepped up to save the family’s dog.

According to officials at the scene, the fire started at a home on Parker Drive around midnight.

Only two of the seven family members were home at the time of the fire. Both were able to get out safely, but they told firefighters their dog was still inside.

While crews worked to contain the flames shooting out of the garage, they had other firefighters go inside the home to find and rescue the dog.

Chief Nick Sohyda said there were intense flames coming out of the garage area when they arrived on scene.

Initially, there was concern that it would spread throughout the rest of the house. The chief said it appears the fire started in the garage. They are leaning toward a possible cause, but believe the fire was not suspicious.

“There were no vehicles in the garage. Gasoline, a lot of things you’d expect to be, they were storing quite a few appliances in the garage and preliminarily we think it might have started in one of those appliances,” Chief Sohyda said.

There was significant fire damage in the garage and the room above. There was water and smoke damage to other areas of the home as well.

The Red Cross was called to the scene to assist the family of six adults and one child.


More Local News
More Mount Lebanon News
More Reports From Heather Abraham

Join The Conversation On The KDKA Facebook Page
Stay Up To Date, Follow KDKA On Twitter

Watch & Listen LIVE