CORAOPOLIS (KDKA) – Gwendolyn Robinson was just drifting away into a nap when, despite being legally blind, she saw a glowing danger nearby.

“I was sitting in the chair, and could see something orange — flames or something,” she said. “So I called my daughter.”

Robinson’s Sixth Avenue home was catching fire. Hearing her mom’s call, Gwendolyn’s daughter Nelva Robinson rushed to her mom’s side, getting her and baby Eve out of the fire.

“Very fast,” she said. “I had to go out without my shoes.”

Coraopolis firefighters took to the flames, knocking the fire down before it destroyed the home.
“The fireman said it would have spread and it would have been pretty bad,” said relative Steve Johnson.

Everyone got out unscathed, which may not have happened when you consider the following.

“My daughter that’s my oldest daughter, she gave up her apartment and decided to come here and help me,” Gwendolyn said. “We didn’t know this was gonna happen, but she did it just in time.”

Although everyone was able to get out safe, the family cat perished in the fire.

Gwendolyn says the house is insured and the family is being assisted by the Red Cross.

You May Also Be Interested In These Latest News Stories

Join The Conversation On The KDKA Facebook Page
Stay Up To Date, Follow KDKA On Twitter