PITTSBURGH (93-7 The Fan) – The Pitt Panthers beat Miami 35-23 Sunday to become bowl eligible for the seventh consecutive season.
It was Pitt’s first victory in Miami since 1963, and they won in front of more than 60-thousand fans.READ MORE: Allegheny Health Network Opening One Of The Country's Clinics For COVID-19 'Long-Haulers'
Although Pitt has been bowl eligible for seven consecutive seasons, some of those seasons have been filled with heartbreaking games.
Here is the list of the most torturous Pitt loses since 2000, from 93.7 The Fan’s Starkey and Mueller.
1. Dec. 5th, 2009 Pitt-Cincinnati – Probably Dave Wannstedt’s best team who lost a game that could have helped them reach the next level.
2. Sept. 9th, 2005 vs Ohio University – This goes back to the Dave Wannstedt era. Pitt lost without giving up an offensive touchdown all game.
3. Sept. 20th, 2003 – Pitt 2-0 takes on Toledo as the #8 team in the country and gets beat.
4. August 30th, 2008 – The first game of the year of the 2008 season, and Bowling Green of the MAC beats Pitt by 10.
5. Pitt-Georgia Tech this year – 5 fumbles in the first quarter, it defies belief.READ MORE: 'It'll Be A Straight Shot:' The Southern Beltway Close To Opening In Pittsburgh
6. Sept. 1st, 2001 Pitt-Youngstown St – The first game of the Paul Chryst era.
1. Nov. 3rd, 2012 against Notre Dame – Pitt has a big lead, Brian Kelly is coaching Notre Dame, and a missed field goal costs Pitt the game.
2. Nov. 11th, 2010 vs UCONN – This game just kept standing out to me. Another Wannstedt special. Pitt was in control of it’s fate late in the season, and then they lose this game.
3. The 2008 Sun Bowl – This is the worst football game ever played. It ended with a 3-0 score and was the lowest scoring bowl game since 1959.
4. Pitt-Duke from this year – I’m going with a fresh pick here, and that’s a tough loss at 51-48
5. Sept. 7th, 2002 vs Texas A&M – Pitt loses to Texas A&M because they try using the swinging gate play twice on the extra point.
6. Sept. 30th 2004 vs UCONN – The slide game against UCONN. It defies logic.MORE NEWS: Pittsburgh Weather: Temperatures Cool Off As The Week Progresses