PITTSBURGH (KDKA) – Firefighters battled flames at a house in Duquesne Sunday morning.

It started at a house on Kennedy Avenue.

Heavy fire was reported at the two-story brick home.

Kelvin Bean lived there with his family. He thinks it may have been started by a candle.

“We heard the cracking, we smelled the flames,” he said. “We go to check, there was a big fire in the closet.”

As the fire raged out of control, Bean realized it was time for everyone to get out, including his 65-year-old grandmother.

“I went and told her ‘we have to leave now, it’s a fire, we have to go,'” he said.

“I picked her up, right out of her bed and I basically carried her down the steps, it was really urgent,” he said.

Family members say Bean not only rescued his grandmother who has cancer, but he made sure everyone else, including the family pets, got out as well.

Meanwhile, flames and thick smoke kept firefighters busy. The fire burned through the roof and began to threaten two homes on either side.

“All the firefighters on scene did an excellent job, we saved two houses,” said Duquesne Fire Chief Andrew Fedor.

The fire even sent thick smoke into the church across the street, forcing the congregation to evacuate during the morning service.

Pastor David Queen was glad to see everyone get out safely. He praised Kelvin Bean for rescuing his grandmother.

“To have young Kelvin carry his grandmother out,” said Queen, “that’s the triumph in this, everyone’s safe and to God be all the glory.”

Join The Conversation On The KDKA Facebook Page
Stay Up To Date, Follow KDKA On Twitter