WILKINS TOWNSHIP (KDKA) — A fire at a high-rise apartment building in Wilkins Township caused $1 million worth of damage last night.

A faulty power cord may have caused the fire.

It started on the fourth floor at the Brentmoor at Penn Center.

Firefighters evacuated dozens of residents from the building — many of them senior citizens.

“I’m so glad that they did show up, because when they came, they acted really swiftly and quickly and, you know, it looks like everybody got a chance to get out of there safely,” said Val Morschl, who lives on the fifth floor.

Several people were taken to the hospital, including some firefighters.

Most tenants returned to their apartments, except for tenants in the two apartments with the most damage.

Join The Conversation On The KDKA Facebook Page
Stay Up To Date, Follow KDKA On Twitter