NEW BRIGHTON (KDKA) – One man died in an apartment building fire in Beaver County Tuesday morning.

According to fire officials, the fire started inside an apartment in the E.B. McNitt apartment building around 7 a.m.

Officials believe the fire started with a man on oxygen smoking a cigarette. That man died as a result.

“They just don’t understand the consequences that could happen. If you’re on oxygen, by rights, you should not be smoking,” said Chief Jeffrey Boland, of the New Brighton Fire Department.

Authorities have identified him as 56-year-old Terry Hughes.

“Our initial attack crew went in, found heavy black smoke on the third floor. They went specifically to the apartment,” said Chief Boland. “They were able to gain entry and they found the victim inside the apartment.”

The fire forced the evacuation of 70-100 residents in the building. However, the blaze was confined to the apartment where it started.

A woman in her 90’s across the hall from the fire was recovering from a recent lung transplant. However, she was evacuated safely.

Firefighters also rescued a cat from the burning apartment and gave it oxygen.

Stay With KDKA.com For More Details

Join The Conversation On The KDKA Facebook Page
Stay Up To Date, Follow KDKA On Twitter

Watch & Listen LIVE