PITTSBURGH (KDKA) – While we may be in the middle of summer, it’s never too early to start thinking about the upcoming football season.
Fans of the Pittsburgh Steelers only have a few more days to wait to get reacquainted with the team at training camp.
More than 40 workers have spent hours preparing the fencing and wiring to make this year’s camp happen. But the weather hasn’t been on their side.
“The weather is always the specific challenge,” said Larry Hendrick, the director of Facility Management. “Our guys, who have been working outside, have been working out in the rain for the last two to three weeks getting fence up, our electricians have been getting stuff up in the rain.”
But it’s all coming together.
And that’s good news for diehard fans who battle the heat, and sometimes rain, to meet their favorite players.
“The fans, when they come here, we want them to have fun, we want them to be safe, and just have a good experience here at Saint Vincent College,” Hendrick said.
This will be the 50th anniversary of training camp being held at Saint Vincent College. To mark the occasion, the Steelers announced an anniversary celebration event, which will be held on Sunday, July 26.
The day’s events begin at noon and with the Steelers Experience, which will include interactive areas, live music and more.
Fans will also have a chance to win several prizes, including pro shop gift cards and VIP experiences.
At 11:30 a.m., fans are invited to attend the Black and Gold service in Saint Vincent Basilica.
Practice begins at 2:55 p.m., where Chris Jamison will sing the National Anthem.
The last practice open to the public at Saint Vincent College will be on Friday, Aug. 21, at 2:55 p.m.
The following are key dates from the Steelers 2015 training camp schedule.
For more information on the 50th Anniversary Celebration and the 2015 Training Camp Schedule, visit the Steelers website at this link:
Steelers 2015 Training Camp Key Dates
- Saturday, July 25 – Steelers begin training camp, Saint Vincent College, players report by 4 p.m.
- Sunday, July 26 – First practice open to public, Saint Vincent College, 2:55 p.m.
- Wednesday, July 29 – First practice in pads, Saint Vincent College, 2:55 p .m.
- Friday, July 31 – Annual night practice at Latrobe’s Memorial Stadium, 7 p.m.
- Sunday, Aug. 9 – First Preseason Game vs. Minnesota Vikings – Hall of Fame Game, 8 p.m.
- Wednesday, Aug. 12 – Evening practice, Saint Vincent College, 5:30 p.m.
- Friday, Aug. 21 – Last practice open to public, Saint Vincent College, 2:55 p.m.
- Sunday, Aug. 23 – Third Preseason Game vs. Green Bay Packers, 8 p.m. on KDKA-TV
- Thursday, Sept. 3 – Fifth Preseason Game vs. Carolina Panthers, 7:30 p.m. on KDKA-TV