PITTSBURGH (KDKA) — Construction and detours on the Parkway West could snarl traffic all weekend long.
PennDOT has delayed the work twice for weather, but now says the time has come.READ MORE: Local Businesses Hope Small Business Saturday Will Help Recovery From Pandemic Losses
It all boils down to this; a stretch of the outbound side will be closed all weekend.
From Green Tree to Interstate 79, starting promptly one hour after the Pirates game ends Friday, there will be no wiggle room.
“Because of the potential weather impacts, we need to get this work done,” said Steve Cowan, PennDOT District 11 spokesman.
The detour route will take you off the interstate at Green Tree and direct you down single lane Mansfield and through Carnegie, traffic lights and all.
“We are putting a lot of traffic on roads that just weren’t designed to handle that,” Cowan said.
PennDOT’s posted outbound (westbound) I-376 Parkway West Detour (between Greentree and I-79):
- Motorists will exit I-376 at the Greentree/Crafton (Exit 67) interchange
- Bear left to north 121 towards Crafton
- Turn left onto Mansfield Avenue (Route 3062)
- Turn left onto Noblestown Road (Route 50)
- Noblestown Road becomes East Main Street
- Turn right onto Jane Street
- Jane Street becomes Mansfield Boulevard
- Mansfield Boulevard becomes West Main Street
- Follow West Main Street to I-79
- Take the ramp to northbound I-79
- Follow northbound I-79 to I-376
- End detour
So the detour will be lengthy and slow, and avoiding the area all together is the best idea.MORE NEWS: Man And Woman Recovering After Being Shot In Knoxville
Because of the threat of rain on Sunday, PennDOT says they will be bringing in extra equipment and hastening the pace of their work Friday night and through the day Saturday.