DRY TAVERN, Pa. (KDKA) – A heavy police presence descended on a small town in Greene County Tuesday afternoon after reports of shots being fired.

The incident started after 1 p.m. along Route 88 in Dry Tavern, which is located between Jefferson and Rice’s Landing, and turned into a standoff situation. It all came to an end around 6 p.m. after the Pennsylvania State Police special response team went into the home and did not find anyone inside.

Witnesses described hearing popping noises.

“Some popping noises, like a tire pops or something like that, but we don’t pay attention to that; we just keep turning wrenches and changing tires,” said Andy Morris, of the nearby business, Morris Tires.

But what followed could not be ignored.

“They just started flying in, cop after cop after cop,” added witness, Andrew Morris.

Police arrived from all over, in such numbers because of the initial call.

“State police out of Waynesburg received a call for an active shooter at 977 North 88th Street,” said Trooper Robert Broadwater, of Pennsylvania State Police.

Donning vests and pulling out their weapons for situations like this, the police quickly fanned out and encircled the residence.

“That’s when they put the schools on lockdown and they were able to evacuate the neighbors and the businesses in the surrounding area,” Trooper Broadwater said.

About two hours later, authorities were able to bring the situation under control.

“The situation is contained and there’s no threat to the public at this time,” Trooper Broadwater said.

The lockdown on the schools was lifted and the State Police SERT arrived with the heavy equipment needed to get whoever was inside the house out.

“At this time, we have no evidence of any civilian casualties or injuries,” Trooper Broadwater said.

Police entered the home to find no one inside.

“There’s nobody in there. There’s no fatalities. No casualties. No injuries,” said Trooper Broadwater.

But it turns out; someone was taken into custody by the first police unit to arrive on the scene.

“Apparently, there was an individual detained prior to the state police arriving on scene,” said Trooper Broadwater. “Cumberland Township Police detained somebody.”

After the standoff ended, police could be seen with a rifle found inside the home. And a second-story window appeared to be shot out with glass shattered across a roof.

Police have yet to file any charges but say they believe the man taken into custody was inside the home at one point and do not believe anyone else was there.

Join The Conversation On The KDKA Facebook Page
Stay Up To Date, Follow KDKA On Twitter

David Highfield