ALLENTOWN, Pa. (AP) – Authorities say a woman who suffered burns over most of her body when her gown caught fire in her Pennsylvania hospital room has died of her injuries.

The Lehigh County coroner’s office said 66-year-old Val Cooper, of Williamsport, was pronounced dead shortly after 5 p.m. Thursday at Lehigh Valley Hospital, Cedar Crest. The death was ruled accidental.

READ MORE: Butler County Community College Closes For 2 Days Due To Ransomware Attack

Cooper’s clothing caught fire Tuesday while she was on supplemental oxygen in a Williamsport hospital. Authorities say she had a lighter.

Nursing staff at UPMC Susquehanna Williamsport Regional Medical Center found her gown ablaze. A chair she had been sitting was also burning.

READ MORE: North Allegheny, Mt. Lebanon Among Highest-Ranked Schools In The Area

Fire officials said the blaze was started accidentally by the lighter. The woman smoked, but that’s prohibited in the hospital. Her cigarettes and another lighter were stored in a lockbox.

Join The Conversation On The KDKA Facebook Page
Stay Up To Date, Follow KDKA On Twitter

MORE NEWS: Jewish Communities Around Greater Pittsburgh Come Together To Celebrate Hanukkah

(Copyright 2017 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)