Follow KDKA-TV: Facebook | Twitter

CRESCENT TOWNSHIP (KDKA) – A ball of fire exploded out of a glazing machine at Premier Pan in Crescent Township Thursday night, severely injuring an employee.

“His burns were on his face, his arms I believe on his left side but his hair was singed and his clothing was singed too,” said Crescent Township Police Officer Jay Griffith

Crescent Township Police say Joshua Taylor, 20, suffered second and third-degree burns as a result of the accident.

“I think he was in shock. He was burnt pretty good,” Officer Griffith said.

Officer Griffith got the call just before 6 p.m. on Thursday and pulled up to find Taylor laying in front of the building with two co-workers trying to help him.

“From what we were told, they were cleaning a glazing machine and I don’t know the exact process. They were applying some flammable liquid that burns off the contaminants or whatever,” said Officer Griffith. “What we were told, for whatever reason, the temperature spiked up and ignited the gas fumes, which caused a ball of flames to blow out of the machine.”

Those flames hit Taylor and lit the exterior wall on fire. Police say the victim survived thanks to the quick thinking of his coworkers who grabbed five fire extinguishers to smother the fire.

“They actually were still in danger, but they acted in an effort to get the victim out of the building– pretty much putting their own safety at risk,” Officer Griffith said.

Investigators, including the county fire marshal, worked at the scene until at least 10 p.m. on Thursday.

Crescent Township police recognized a handful of the employees by name on its Facebook post.