EAST PITTSBURGH, Pa. (KDKA/AP) – A lawyer for the family of a 17-year-old fatally shot by a Pennsylvania police officer seconds after he fled a traffic stop says the boy did not pose an immediate threat to anyone.READ MORE: Two-Year-Old Boy Battling Cancer Dresses Up As His Doctor For Halloween
Civil rights attorney S. Lee Merritt said Thursday he doesn’t see justification for the use of deadly force by an East Pittsburgh police officer that left Antwon Rose Jr. dead.
Rose’s shooting death was caught on video by nearby residents. It all started when police were called to a shooting Tuesday night in North Braddock.
A short time later, police spotted what they believed was the car seen fleeing the scene on nearby Grandview Avenue in East Pittsburgh. The car had bullet holes in the rear windows.
Police pulled it over for a traffic stop.READ MORE: Pennsylvania's Jobless Rate, Labor Force And Payrolls Drop
- Lawyer: Antwon Rose Didn’t Pose An Immediate Threat To East Pittsburgh Police Officer
- READ: Antwon Rose’s Poem Written Two Years Before He Was Killed By East Pittsburgh Police Officer
- B-PEP Calls For AG To Take Over Investigation Of Antwon Rose Fatal Shooting
- Sources: Man Driving Antwon Rose Before Fatal East Pittsburgh Shooting Was A Jitney Driver
- Hundreds Gather Downtown To Protest Antwon Rose Fatal Shooting
- Sources: East Pittsburgh Officer Accused Of Killing Antwon Rose Sworn In Hours Before Fatal Shooting
- More On The Shooting
While an East Pittsburgh police officer was detaining the driver, two passengers ran from the car, including Rose.
The officer opened fire and Rose was struck three times in the back.
Police found two weapons inside the vehicle, but Rose was unarmed.
The officer has been placed on paid administrative leave pending the results of the investigation.
City officials say the officer, who has not been named, was sworn in hours earlier.MORE NEWS: Couple Facing Charges In Connection With Rental Assistance Fraud
(Copyright 2018 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)